Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What curve types are permitted by the EPA to generate calibration curves?

Ask the Expert Question:
We run several instruments like IC, ICP, GCMS, etc, for water analysis. What curve types are permitted (by EPA) to generate calibration curves. For example, EPA 300.1 ask for linear least squares fit. Can weighted models be use along with this?

Experts Response:

Tthe EPA method 300.1 does not allow any other calibration method other than linear regression. However, the EPA has been known to grant Alternative Test Protocol (ATP) status to use quadratic fit calibration models, but that is only granted on a case by case basis. You would need to apply for an ATP approval from EPA in order to use anything other than linear regression for method 300.1.

ICP, GCMS allow for linear regression models, as well as other calibration models. For GCMS it is most common to use Relative Percent Difference (RPD), weighted linear regression, and quadratic curves. I suggest that you read SW846 method 8000c for an explanation of the various calibration models acceptable for organic analysis.

View Ray Frderici's Expert profile here

3 comments:

  1. It is a important article for me.I read it and get many type of information about your topic.I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    Alanine Assay Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this page so much, so better to keep on posting! Thanks.
    ATP Assay Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post review. I am pleased to have come across this article. I was eagerly looking for a post that give such information. Keep it up.I have some relevant information you can review below.Alanine Transaminase Assay Kit

    ReplyDelete